Meant to Shine

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

by Marianne Williamson

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 22: A Song that You Listen to when You're Sad

Hey, all!

Today is Day 22 of the 30 Day Song Challenge which means that today's song is a song I listen to when I'm sad. But before the song of the day is released, I'd like to clarify. There is a very big difference between a song that I listen to when I'm sad and a sad song. When I am sad, I prefer not to listen to sad music because I am one of those people who prefers not to be sad. [Also, I do not sit on the couch and watch sad movies eating ice cream. However, if that is what makes you feel better, by all means, have at it.]

But I listen to "Blossom" by Ryan Adams when I'm sad, actually the entire Cold Roses album is decent listening-to-while-sad music. Today, I spent about an hour and a half sitting underneath a tree listening to it. I wasn't particularly sad, but I was feeling reflective. [Perfect Day: 75 degrees with a few clouds and a relatively stiff breeze, sitting under a tree in the grass, listening to good music/reading a book/chatting with a friend. Sigh.]

Anyway, Cold Roses was one of the 50+ albums that I downloaded from the library last summer that I didn't really get to listen to fully. I rediscovered it this year when my iPod was on shuffle and I couldn't figure out what lovely song was playing. [Love finding old music. Its like finding a few bucks in your coat pocket from last winter.] Reason you should love this album too: harmonica. [Also, its good and the album cover is pretty. [Fun fact: I have a number of songs on my iPod that I hate, but can't bear to delete because I love the album art so much. #DesignStudentWoes [Third insert: I'd love you forever if you followed me on Twitter: @rachelweeks5]]]

Now that I've thoroughly rambled, I'm sure you're bored. [I'm a smidge bored as well.] Only 8 days left in the 30 Day Song Challenge. Think you can hold out until the end? Here's to harmonicas, good weather, and to putting off your final paper a few hours more. Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment