Meant to Shine

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

by Marianne Williamson

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 23: A Song that You Want to play at Your Wedding

A wildly enthusiastic greeting to my now 11 followers [including an extra Mark]!

It is mildly ridiculous how much a few extra followers mean. But when two extra followers mean that there are two extra people who give a hoot about what I write, that's pretty awesome. So thanks Mary Bess and Sally [and all my other loyal followers] for sticking with me through a few rough posts. Hopefully this one won't disappoint you.

Enough of all that. Hi. You're here to read about a song that I want to play at my wedding. [Maybe you're not. If you're not, this is a little awkward, but I think you have the wrong blog.] This post was a little tricky because I have no bloody idea what songs I would like to play at my wedding.

But I have finally come to the conclusion that "The Way You Look Tonight" by Maroon 5 will play at my wedding. [I would play the Fred Astaire version, but I love this cover dearly, so deal with it.] There's something about Adam Levine's voice that makes me want to melt into a puddle of quivering goo. [That is an entirely unromantic image, but I just can't help it.] After my first listen, I was pleasantly surprised that the band hadn't slapped the Maroon 5 sound over the classic Sinatra-Astaire early versions. They did an incredible job of contributing to the song while staying true to the original, spectacular vibes. I am continually surprised by Adam's and the rest of Maroon 5's versatility. [I really should go on a Maroon 5 music hunt.]

My favorite music hunting ground [I prefer to hunt in relatively legal territory.] is the local library. I recently returned from the library with a stack of 47 CDs. Excessive? Maybe, but I was curious, and hadn't looked through their selection in a while. I've picked up CDs in the library that I would never think of when browsing YouTube or iTunes, especially classics. [I'm listening to Billie Holiday right now.]

There are the obvious downsides of getting music from the library. For example, most of their music is at least five years old and geared towards 45 year old housewives with a poor taste in music. [I swear to you, there must be 25 Barry Manilow CDs.] But it's forced me to step outside of my musical comfort zone, which was once tragically limited to mediocre alternative rock bands [I still enjoy a select few of them, but my horizons have broadened significantly.] But if you look past the seemingly endless rows of 80s crooners, there are CDs to be listened to [and they are free].

It's late, I'm tired, and this post has taken me far too long. So, here's to teasing poor Barry Manilow [once again. I should really find a new punching bag.], new music, and your local library. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment