Meant to Shine

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

by Marianne Williamson

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 24: A Song that You Want to play at Your Funeral

Greetings followers and other random people who are reading [You're awesome.].

[Quick promotion: If you follow my blog, consider following Mr. Jeff Nelson's blog. He's awesome and is just getting started with blogging and needs more followers! [Don't we all?]]

But let's talk about me, that's what's important after all. [I hope the sarcasm in the precious statement was fully communicated and received.] But seriously, today's post is about a song that I want to play at my funeral [hopefully this will not be necessary for many many years.] But in the name of finishing this God-forsaken 30-day challenge, I will answer it.

Although the context of this song has little to do with me or my death, I would love Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" to play at my funeral. I cannot give you a discernible reason for choosing this song, but it has always been a favorite. There's something about the opening description of women and their "pirate smile(s)" that makes you fall in love.

I suppose that is why I chose it for this post. "Tiny Dancer" celebrates the life and the little things about the incredible women that Bernie Taupin [the song's lyricist] and Elton John [both English tourists] witness on the streets of California. To Taupin, these street dancers were free spirits, full of life and worthy of song. I hope that at the end, my life is celebrated as well, rather than my death mourned. [Journalist as an occupation doesn't really offer the same romantic imagery as a dancer [particularly a tiny one], but you get my drift.] While I will never be a dainty street dancer in California, I want to lead a life worthy of a song as beautiful as this one.

I apologize for the short and relatively somber post. I felt that my usual sarcastic tone was inappropriate for today's theme, but there are six days left and hopefully I will pull off another entertaining post before the challenge comes to a close. My stream of blogging wit seems to have run dry for the moment.

But here's to well-written lyrics, free-spirited street dancers, and living life to the fullest. Happy summer, followers.

No comments:

Post a Comment